Music and Movement experiences and ideas

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
marj

Music and Movement experiences and ideas

Post by marj » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi I'm studing my diploma and i'm having trouble coming up with 2 music experiences and 2 movement experiences for 3/4 year old age group. Can someone please give me some ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Marj :)

Lorina

Re: Music and Movement experiences and ideas

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi Marj,

Busy with your studies.. ;)

Try this… my preschoolers love this song which you could do for music.

Begin singing this chant and the children repeat it after you…

I said boom chicka boom.
(children repeat)
I said boom chicka boom.
(children repeat)
I said boom chicka rocka chicka rocka chicka boom.
(children repeat)
All right.
(children repeat)
Oh yeah.
(children repeat)
One more time.
(Start the chant over again)

The funny thing is when doing this song some of the children don’t understand what REPEAT means…they end up singing the song with you instead of after you… it’s so frustrating (coz it’s great song, if done right). But it’s all in fun and in the end I roll around the floor laughing… :lol:

Good Luck…

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Marj,

Here are a few more of ideas:

1) Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar (if you don’t know the lyrics let me know) – group of children can sit in a circle with a musical instrument each (e.g. drums, triangle, tambourine) tapping along to the beat and rhythm of this song while singing.

2) Musical Chairs/Statues – instead of getting the children to simply walk around the chairs, ask them to do different movements like crawl on the floor, jump with both feet together etc. Likewise with musical statues you could tell the children the different movements instead of dancing to the music.

Hope this helps!

L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:59 am

Got another one for you...Its called "Open, Shut Them". Its a very well known song and a lot of kids sing this song in childcare....Here are the lyrics:

Open, shut them. Open, shut them. (Open and shut hands)
Give a little clap. (Clap)

Open, shut them. Open, shut them. (Open and shut hands)
Lay them in your lap. (Put hands in lap)

Creep them, creep them. Creep them, creep them. Right up to your chin. (Creep fingers from legs to chin)

Open wide your little mouth and Do not let them in (pretend to put fingers in mouth and then pull out and put your hands behind your back)

Shake them, Shake them, Shake them, Shake them,Shake them just like this. (put hands in front of body and shake up and down)

Roll them, Roll them, Roll them, Roll them, Blow a great big kiss (roll hands in front of body and blow a kiss)

L.A

marj

Post by marj » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Hey
Thanks so much! Some great ideas!
Marj

emmastudent

Post by emmastudent » Sun May 22, 2011 1:51 pm

We play musical bumps so instead of freezing at the stopping of music the children have to sit down - and cross their legs depending on age/stage - the last person to sit down comes and helps the teacher with music.
We also loved playing Boa Constrictor with the parachute
Children sit around parachute holding onto an edge. the song goes:

I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor x2
I'm being eaten by a Boa Constricot and i don't like it very much! (shake head)
Oh no, oh no its up to my toes! its up to my toes! (children bring parachute over their toes - teacher too)
Oh gee, oh gee its up to my knees! its up to my knees! (parachute up to knees)
Oh fiddle oh fiddle - it's up to my middle!, its up to my middle! (parachute up to waist)
Oh Speck, oh speck - it's up to my neck! its up to my neck! (parachute up to neck)
Oh dread, oh dread - it's up to my head its up to my head!!! ( pull parachute right over your head and wave to each other under the parachute)

This is one of my favorites and is surprisingly interest holding. Chn will really pay attention and they just love it when you all get swallowed up! I am really animated when singing this and add pauses etc.
Good Luck!!!